Thursday, September 1, 2011

Why the GOP and Democrats are not the same to me

Photo credit: kevinrosseel
from Morguefile
I know people who insist the Republicans and Democrats are just the same, sold us all out, etc. I used to think that myself. The last dozen years or so have disabused me entirely of this notion. I'm not saying the Democrats are angels. I just happen to know the face of hatred when I see it, and it's not looking at me with donkey's eyes.

Most recent example: the Pima County(AZ) GOP is holding a fundraising raffle. If that county name reminds you of anyone, it ought to be Rep. Gabrielle Giffords.

The raffle is providing a special prize for the winner, as these things always do. The winner of the raffle will be gifted with a Glock 23 handgun. Giffords and the other victims of the shooting were shot with a Glock 19. And if she'd been shot with a higher caliber gun like the 23, Giffords would likely be dead instead of recuperating.

If you think the Republicans and Democrats are two sides of the same coin, I dare you to point out where the Democrats have ever held a fundraiser that echoed how a Republican was shot. If your first response is, "But liberals don't like guns," tell that to my collection and quit derailing.

No comments:

Post a Comment